It seems when man gets involved in trying to make things “better,” problems ensue. When this happens I am reminded of this scripture: There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death, Proverbs 14:12.
The following has happened to wheat:
- Extreme hybridization of wheat has changed it from a four foot high grass waving in the wind to 18 inches with 50% more gluten. Norman Borlaug received the Nobel Peace prize for his work creating this high yield strain of wheat.
- We over-eat wheat every day, sometimes at every meal without a break.
- We ignore an agrarian schedule of rotational eating which gives our digestion a break from having to digest the same thing over and over again.
- Whole wheat flour is whitened using a chemical similar to chlorine bleach. This chemical forms another substance called “alloxan” which is known to destroy pancreatic function, think diabetes.
- Glyphosate is sprayed over wheat in a process called dry harvesting that is used to hasten drying and protect yield. This practice is used in select areas of the country. Recently the WHO made the statement that glyphosate could cause cancer.
- Italy and Ireland have the highest rates of Celiac Disease. Your heritage could be a factor for digesting this grain.
I Am Frequently Referred to as the “No Gluten Girl.”
People would whisper to each other, “if you go to her for nutritional help she will take you off wheat and your life will be miserable.”
I would really chafe at that comment. However, I have realized that clinically, the more people I pulled off of wheat and gluten, the better their health improved and the better they felt. I saw dramatic changes in lipid profiles, joint pain disappeared, skin rashes cleared up, children calmed down, headaches went away, constipation stopped, reflux ended, acne cleared up, glucose stabilized, and the pounds effortlessly slipped away.
Wheat Can Also be Highly Addictive.
The gliadin protein, when ingested, enters the brain and binds to opiate receptors where it stimulates appetite. The gliadin acts like an opiate in the brain, which has other disastrous effects, one being schizophrenia. The removal of wheat in schizophrenia patients completely eradicated the disease and when it is reintroduced the schizophrenia returns.
Wheat is probably the most overused grain in most households. It is frequently eaten up to 5 times a day with complete disregard to many other wonderful, nutritious, gluten free grains that God has given us.
So What Do I Do Now?
Try a mini fast of gluten (wheat) for a month and track how you feel. You may find that some health issues will clear up. But wait, while you are on this fast DO NOT consume any gluten free ready made products. They are high in sugar, contain highly refined flours, are expensive, and will not gain you any health benefits. Instead eat freely of the following grains: rice (white or brown), quinoa, millet or buckwheat.
Please let me know how you do!