I first read this book shortly after it was published and at the time I was still suffering with Lyme. I believe the information in this book was pivotal in my healing from Lyme Disease. Dr. Russell’s book on biblical nutrition created a major AHA moment for me, and as I continue to follow the guidelines of this book I remain very healthy.
Dr. Rex Russell writes about Three Principles to healthy eating in his wonderful book What the Bible Says about Healthy Living. These principles act as an excellent guideline if you are trying to eat healthier but have no idea of where to start.
Principle One: Eat only substances God created for food. Avoid what is not designed for food.
Genesis 1:29 And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.
Principle Two: Eat foods as they were created.
Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
Principle Three: Do not let any food or drink become your God.
Exodus 20:3 You shall have no other gods before me.
Proverbs 23:20-21 Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat;21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.
Proverbs 23:20-21 (NIV) Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.
Are You Eating Away Your Emotions?
Gluttony, which causes obesity, is a a lack of self control and temperance. A study out of Purdue University found that religious people are more likely to be overweight than non religious people!
Many of us learn that food can bring comfort, at least in the short-term. As a result, we often turn to food to heal emotional problems. Eating becomes a habit preventing us from learning skills that can effectively resolve our emotional distress.
Depression, boredom, loneliness, chronic anger, anxiety, frustration, stress, problems with interpersonal relationships and poor self-esteem can result in overeating and unwanted weight gain.
Galatians 5:13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Nourishing vs. Antagonizing Foods
When I work with clients I spend a lot of time determining what foods will be nourishing versus antagonizing for them. Food choices can have a major impact on mental and physical health which is why it is so important to learn what foods are triggers to your health.
The following are symptoms of a food intolerance/antagonizing food:
- Stomach ache
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Brain fog
- Extreme menstrual pain
- Food cravings
These symptoms can show up immediately after or within three days of ingesting the food in question. If you think you might be having a problem with more than one food, try each food individually and wait 3-5 days before you try the next one. This way you know which food is causing the problem.
The most common allergies are:
To clinically determine a food sensitivity, you must strictly avoid the food for one month, then add it back in at the end of the month and note how you feel.
Here are some additional thoughts and Bible versus to help guide you towards healthier eating and living
- Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
- Creating restoring and maintaining the Temple of the Holy Spirit, requires an investment of time in the kitchen.
- Every time you step out to eat your health is destroyed by the lack of nutrient dense foods.
- Proverbs 31:15 She also rises while it is yet night, And provides food for her household, And a portion for her maidservants.
- Exodus 23:2 You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice.
- 3 John 1:11 Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. He who does good is of God, but he who does evil has not seen God
- Step outside the box, do not be a follower!
- Isaiah 55:2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance.
- Food is like a language an unbroken information stream that connects every cell in your body to an aspect of the natural world. The better the source and the more undamaged the message when it arrives to your cells.
- Do not allow the fear of man, dissuade you from doing what is right before God in caring for your family.
- Proverbs 29:25 The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe.