I am not sure if I really love green tea or it is the ritual of a steaming hot cup of gyokura every morning! Nevertheless the research shows that drinking green tea every day has some surprising health benefits.
All tea with, the exception of herbal teasm are from the Camelli Sinensis plant. Green tea has gone through a minimal oxidation process which preserves its light green color, unlike black teas which have gone through a longer oxidation process and contains more caffeine.
The benefits of drinking green tea are many:
- Lowers the risk of cancer because the polyphenol Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) regulates and inhibits cancer growth, it can also stop the flow of nutrition to cancer cells, as well as stopping the tumors from developing blood vessels. A polyphenol is a “chemical” with potent antioxidant properties.
- Stabilizes cholesterol and reduces triglycerides.
- Strengthens the immune system – Theanine boosts gamma delta T cells.
- Promotes weight loss by increasing fat oxidation rates by 20%.
- Lowers blood sugar which results in preventing diabetes.
- L-Theanine in green tea has a calming effect and is a helpful food adjunct when dealing with anxiety.
So how much should you drink every day? In most of these studies the amount ranged from 2-5 cups a day with a cup beaing about 5 ounces. Green tea is best consumed without any additions of cream and sugar. Learn to enjoy its subtle flavor and health giving properties!
Enjoy and have a great day!