When you’re down with a cold or flu, Elderberry Syrup is an excellent way to help your body fight it off faster. (To learn more about dealing with the cold and flu, check back next week!). You have two options when looking for Elderberry Syrup, you can buy it or you can make it.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Organic, dried Elderberries. Buy them on Amazon from Frontier.
- 3 Cups Water
- 3/4-1 Cup raw local, unfiltered honey. Look on www.eatwild.com
- Place elderberries and water in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
- Mash the elderberries to release more juice
- Strain the mixture into a ball jar
- When it is cool add the raw honey
If you are taking it as a preventative, take 1 tsp a day. If you are already ill, take up to 3 teaspoons, 4 times a day. DO NOT give to children under 18 months.