I have always made bone broths mostly because I am cheap and I hate to see a good carcass go to waste. Therefore every time we finished a chicken I would make a stock out of it, and either use it for a chicken soup or freeze for another day.
Recently I have discovered how important Bone Broth is for over all health, and our grandmothers had it right when they fed us chicken broth when were sick!
Here is a list of maladies that bone broth helps:
Osteoarthritis, colds and flu, stimulates appetite(important in cancer patients), depression, inflammatory bowel disease such as crohn’s, colitis etc., lowered immune function, soft tissue and wound healing, assimilation of proteins, formation and repair of cartilage and bone, provides necessary minerals.
HOW TO MAKE A BONE BROTH
You will need:
- One organic chicken carcass
- Any vegetables you want to flavor the broth; leeks, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnip…..
- Raw apple cider vinegar
I am a food chucker, people think that I am some kind of gourmet cook just because I spend hours in the kitchen. Truth be told I am not, sorry to disappoint you :(. However that does not mean I am incapable of producing nourishing nutrient dense foods for my family. I will warn you when I am in the process of chucking stay clear of my kitchen as you may end up in my pot!
Now on to Bone Broth!
- Place the chicken in a pot.
- Add your vegetables they do not have to be scrubbed and manicured! Rinse off the big chunks, pray over them and CHUCK!!
- Cover the chicken and vegetables with water, make sure there is 2-3 extra inches of water over the chicken.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar. This is the most important step as this draws the minerals out of the bones.
- Cover and simmer for 24-36 hours, and enjoy the aroma of chicken as it wafts throughout the house.
- Strain the broth through a colander to remove the bones
- Then strain it again through a fine mesh strainer, or a cheese cloth lined colander.
- For a health drink 6 ounces a day
- Freeze any leftovers after 4 days to prevent bacteria build up.
- Repeat weekly for optimal health.